What are calls to l_gint and l_pint for?

Other misc things
alank2

What are calls to l_gint and l_pint for?

Post by alank2 »

I've got what to me looks like a relatively simple function, but it ended up a lot longer than I expected when I do the -a assembly output and look through it. There are a lot of calls to l_gint and l_pint - what are these for?

Also, is there a way to make it output source lines in the assembly output so it is easier to follow?
jorgegv
Well known member

Re: What are calls to l_gint and l_pint for?

Post by jorgegv »

alank2 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:04 pm Also, is there a way to make it output source lines in the assembly output so it is easier to follow?
I use this:

Code: Select all

zcc ... -a --c-code-in-asm --list <file.c>
...and this generates a .lst file with this output:

Code: Select all

897   00B1              ;engine/src/memory.c:134: void init_memory(void) {
898   00B1              ;       ---------------------------------
899   00B1              ; Function init_memory
900   00B1              ; ---------------------------------
901   00B1              _init_memory:
902   00B1              ;engine/src/memory.c:137: mm_default = &mm_manager_zx128;
903   00B1  21 28 00            ld      hl,_mm_manager_zx128
904   00B4  22 00 00            ld      (_mm_default),hl
905   00B7              ;engine/src/memory.c:138: zx128_switch_bank( 0 );
906   00B7  2E 00               ld      l,0x00
907   00B9  CD 00 00            call    _zx128_switch_bank
908   00BC              ;engine/src/memory.c:141: heap_init( (unsigned char *) MALLOC_HEAP_ADDRESS, MALLOC_HEAP_SIZE );
909   00BC  21 00 10            ld      hl,0x1000
910   00BF  E5                  push    hl
911   00C0  26 BC               ld      h,0xbc
912   00C2  E5                  push    hl
913   00C3  CD 00 00            call    _heap_init_callee
914   00C6              ;engine/src/memory.c:142: }
915   00C6  C9                  ret
alank2 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:04 pm I've got what to me looks like a relatively simple function, but it ended up a lot longer than I expected when I do the -a assembly output and look through it. There are a lot of calls to l_gint and l_pint - what are these for?
From the library source, it seems that they are functions used by the peephole optimizer: they seem to do some pretty specific things (e.g. "multiply by 7 the variable pointed to by HL"), but there are much wiser people here that may explain better... :-)
alank2

Post by alank2 »

Thanks jorgegv, the code in asm and list options are great!
feilipu

Post by feilipu »

The calls are used to optimise the code for size, by replacing the getting and putting of integers values into hl. This doesn't make the code fast. It makes it smaller.

To make it fast use the --opt-code-speed=inlineints option. This is done by default when selecting math16 as it assumes that you will want to move 16bit Float_t (or handled as integers) around quickly and don't mind a bit of overhead.

Also, just a note about using --c-code-in-asm very carefully. It does change the code execution flow substantially. I've spent quite a few nights chasing down phantom issues because of this. For example, it will remove callee and fastcall optimisation to functions that provide it, which also changes the stack management, and this has further bump on effects trying to understand where things are stored and recovered. Useful to understand the general flow of your code in assembly, but for debugging resulting assembly probably best to not use it.
derekfountain

Post by derekfountain »

feilipu wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:04 am Also, just a note about using --c-code-in-asm very carefully. It does change the code execution flow substantially. I've spent quite a few nights chasing down phantom issues because of this. For example, it will remove callee and fastcall optimisation to functions that provide it, which also changes the stack management, and this has further bump on effects trying to understand where things are stored and recovered. Useful to understand the general flow of your code in assembly, but for debugging resulting assembly probably best to not use it.
Thanks for that comment, I use --c-code-in-asm all the time. I'll switch it to my debug builds only. :)
alank2

Post by alank2 »

Should the --opt-code-speed=inlineints be the default? I have a program that the difference is 7709 to 7842 bytes, so it may be somewhat larger, but isn't that worthwhile to avoid all the calls anytime something needs to be done with an int? C is so married to the int.
feilipu

Post by feilipu »

I think the strategy is to fit your program into the often limited space available by making it as small as possible.
And then provide an opportunity to make things faster.

The reverse strategy would potentially leave you with a binary that didn't fit into the space available, blocking further progress.

Also, the "best" option for any code is difficult to quantify without experimentation.
There are quite a few optimisation options available for anyone who wants to find the best compromise.
Timmy
Well known member

Post by Timmy »

As someone who's using z88dk for 10+ years, I can say that size is always more important than speed in C programs (for experienced users).

If I ever needed more speed, I'd write it in (inline or external) Assembly. 90+% of my code would still be in C though.

I'd suggest you to learn assembly if you just want raw speed. :)
alank2

Post by alank2 »

The assembly to me was just looking very p-code ish with all those calls and when I think of integer handling in C I think it should be something that can be done without calls, but do I see your points.
stefano
Well known member

Post by stefano »

There's also a number of hidden aspects people does not think at when checking a compiler output, the same instructions must be valid in different code structures, just think at how flags differ depending on the instruction and on the datatype ("dec a" versus "dec hl", ld a,0 versus xor a etc..).
Moreover the code to reference variables varies when they are local or global..