File read trouble in ZX CP/M 2.2 by M.Williams

kegoyagl

File read trouble in ZX CP/M 2.2 by M.Williams

Post by kegoyagl »

I try to compile my project for Locomotive CP/M Plus and ZX CP/M 2.2 by Williams (https://www.worldofspectrum.org/infosee ... id=0023486) .
In Locomotive CP/M Plus file I/O works fine, I successfully read what I need right into memory address. But in ZX CP/M 2.2 I have a trouble with fread.
Code fragment is here:

Code: Select all

FILE * f = fopen(rom_file, "rb");
    if (f == 0)
    {
        printf("ROM not found: \"%s\"\n", rom_file);
        return;
    }
    const int bytes = fread(0x8000, 1, 0x4000, f); // read ROM to RAM2
    fclose(f);
    printf("ROM \"%s\": %d bytes read\n", rom_file, bytes);
If file exists and have the right size, output is always "ROM "myfile": 16384 bytes read", in both OS, but actually in ZX CP/M 2.2 nothing is read.
If I change fread code to

fread(0x8000, 0x4000, 1, f)
then in Locomotive CP/M Plus it still works well (memory is filled with file contents), but in ZX CP/M 2.2 output is "ROM "myfile": 1 bytes read", and actually that one byte is not read.
What I'm doing wrong? How to solve this trouble? Please help!
kegoyagl

Post by kegoyagl »

z88dk version is 1.99c.
I didn't tried nightly builds. May be I should do it.
dom
Well known member

Post by dom »

I've spotted a couple of issues reading files in binary mode - thankfully the same problem showed up in ZXCC as well - and have submitted some code that allows be to read binary files under ZXCPM (and ZXCC).

I've not got a CP/M Plus disc image so I can't test it on that unfortunately.

It looks like there might be some stack corruption/overwriting going on somewhere: for me the program repeatedly restarts but it doesn't look like it's going to be easy to track down with all the paging that goes on under ZXCPM.
dom
Well known member

Post by dom »

As an added bonus in the next nightly build, I've added a -subtype=zxplus3 option which will create a +3 format disc with the binary on it in one go:

zcc +cpm program.c -subtype=zxplus3 -create-app
kegoyagl

Post by kegoyagl »

dom wrote:I've not got a CP/M Plus disc image so I can't test it on that unfortunately.
You could find a copy of CP/M Plus on https://planetemu.net . Just google it. There's disk 1 and 2.
It's totally illegal of course :cool:
kegoyagl

Post by kegoyagl »

I've tried the latest nightly build (2020-01-17), and it seems broken for me. I just got errors at random places while compiling code. My command line is

zcc.exe +cpm -vn -DAMALLOC -startup=3 -lzxcpm C:\Users\user\OneDrive\Documents\zx\src\main.c -create-app -ozx.obj
So I return to stable release 1.99c.
dom
Well known member

Post by dom »

With neither code nor errors I can't comment or assist I'm afraid.

Over the past year a number of warnings have been added to align the behaviour or sdcc and sccz80 - it might be these that you're seeing: usually adding the appropriate prototype silences these.