S-OS (The Sentinel)

stefano
Well known member

S-OS (The Sentinel)

Post by stefano »

I just set up the stub for a new Target: the S-OS, a simple but highly portable monitor with minimal console functionalities and a simple file access interface. It was thought for systems having little or no ROM memory on lower positions accordig to what was known as the "Clean Computer" philosophy.

It was presented in the "Oh!X" magazine, in a section called "The Sentinel" in 1986 and in the following years it was ported to many Japanese z80 based computers.
I found a trick to pass command line parameters by peeping in the shell buffer: after the program being loaded (#L a.bin), the user can pass the parameters in the "Jump" call (#J 3000 <parm1> <parm2>, etc).

Next phase: interfacing the file access calls.
Rink

Post by Rink »

Cool. Will look forward to giving that a whirl. I'm not a massive a fan of S-OS but it does work surprisingly well once you get used to syntax.

If you have aNy good links to documentation, I'm sure people would appreciate it.
Last edited by Rink on Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stefano
Well known member

Post by stefano »

There's very little to say, it's merely a debugger.
File transfer tricks are for sure machine dependent and the list of targets is very long.
I translated some of the information with Google and wrote a summary of some of the commands, but watch out ! Work is in progress..
http://www.z88dk.org/wiki/doku.php?id=platform:sos