Jupiter ACE

Discussion about other targets
Steve(spt)

Jupiter ACE

Post by Steve(spt) »

The Jupiter Ace archive team are now looking at using Z88dk. We might need some help to get us started.

So far the synthdemo.c code works fine, and Adv_a, on EightyOne emulator which is our perfered one, other that a real ACE.

Is it OK to post our silly question and request for help using Z88dk?

Kind regards.
Steve
dom
Well known member

Post by dom »

Go for it!
stefano
Well known member

Post by stefano »

I'm very happy to get a feedback from ACE lovers, and even a bit bewildered hearing that the advanced sound functions are working correctly. They're just inherited from a common portable base and I couldn't test them, at the time: I stopped specific tests when I got the graphics Mandelbrot function ...
RobertK
Well known member

Re: Jupiter ACE

Post by RobertK »

While we are still waiting for any questions, I will use this as a general Jupiter Ace thread...

Two issues:

1. The games.h virtual joystick "Cursor" has Up and Down swapped. This can be tested with WIP\compile_deepspace_Ace.bat in the current Deepspace package, this will produce an ultra-blocky (useless) Ace version, load it with 0 0 bload ds.bin

2. What is the status of sound support for the Jupiter Ace? According to features.h, there is no sound support at all, but the platforms wiki page says that there would be 1-Bit sound (which does not work).
dom
Well known member

Post by dom »

We might be waiting a while!

1. That's funny: although the ZX keyboard was copied, the cursor directions were changed

2. One bit sound does work, however 81 emulates it incorrectly. I recently corrected it so that the diaphragm is driven by in/out on port 254 (to match the hardware), rather than just an out on port 254. So, sound does work in Mame - as proven by this game: https://gldm.itch.io/jupiter-ace-pac-man

I have however forgotten how to configure mame to use more than 3k of memory which is a bit of a limitation on testing - if you know can you let me know!

I've just updated the repo with the feature change + key switch around.

Edit: mame jupace -ramsize 16K does it....
RobertK
Well known member

Post by RobertK »

Cursor control and features.h are fine now, thanks!

That sound problem of mine was indeed an emulator issue: I just noticed that I was using an older version of the 81 emulator in which sound was working only once, after the first hard reset you wouldn't even hear the loading sound anymore. In the current version 1.25, sound is always working correctly, same in MAME.