Newbie setup issue

ZX80, ZX 81, ZX Spectrum, TS2068 and other clones
Creator

Newbie setup issue

Post by Creator »

I've installed z88dk (latest) , gone thru the initialization info and tried to compile an example program but am stuck completing that & need a bit of help.

Win 10 Zx80 target HW

After running z88dk_prompt.bat I enter : zcc +zx80 -create-app -llib3d examples\zx80\clock.c on the command line & get response :
The system cannot find the path specified.

Checking Path I see PATH=C:\Specs\......Sinclair ZX80\Z88DK\z88dk-win32-latest\z88dk\bin; as the first entry
Paring down my entry to just : zcc +zx80 I see the same response

Have I left out a step in my setup or made a misstep ?
dom
Well known member

Re: Newbie setup issue

Post by dom »

I'm not really a windows person, and this looks like a problem with the path. But, no one else has had issues with the prompt batch file.

So.... are you running 32 or 64 bit windows? If you're on 32 bit then you need to swap round the two binary directories
Creator

Post by Creator »

Thanks for the reply. 64 bit system here. I swapped bin with bin.x.86 in the bat file but same error. Yea, looks like a path issue but path to what ? FWIW just zcc on the command line results in the help file for zcc displaying so that path is fine and a couple of files needed for +zx80 parameter seem to be in place.
I should try an earlier build, maybe something got left out of the latest.
Timmy
Well known member

Post by Timmy »

Windows has its own small issues, some of the things that **could** have cause this problem (but I'm not sure):

1) Did you start zcc.exe in the same prompt that you started z88dk.bat? running the z88dk__prompt.bat only set up the settings for that one instance and is not permanent.
2) Did you tried installing it in a directory that does not contain a space? I personally installed it in D:\z88dk\ (or C:\z88dk) just in case.
3) Is the length of the directory longer than 250 characters? Windows might just not like it.

There could be other issues but I really don't want to guess given so little information.
Creator

Post by Creator »

No change with the year old version.
1) I started zcc at the same prompt as where I ran z88dk_prompt.bat. A search finds no z88dk.bat
2) moved to C:\z88dk THAT WORKED !!

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Please point me to or post z88dk.bat
Timmy
Well known member

Post by Timmy »

Please point me to or post z88dk.bat
Sorry about that, I meant "z88dk_prompt.bat" and not "z88dk.bat". It was 1am when I wrote it and I'm really too tired.

I'm so glad it works for you now! Installing it in the root directory is fine.

And I really should go to bed now. :)
Creator

Post by Creator »

You've done your good deed for the day, get some deserved rest.