Minimum required macOS version?

Problems installing on other platforms
garrafonsoftware

Minimum required macOS version?

Post by garrafonsoftware »

Hi all!

I want to use latest z88dk in a macOS 10.13 High Sierra setup. But I don't seem to succeed. :/

Downloading latest nightly build for OSX: http://nightly.z88dk.org/z88dk-osx-latest.zip, when trying to compile the simplest C program it yields this error:
zcc +zx -vn -startup=0 -clib=sdcc_iy main.c -o main -create-app
dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: ____chkstk_darwin
Referenced from: /Users/None/Documents/Webs/z88dk/bin/z88dk-zsdcpp (which was built for Mac OS X 11.0)
Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

dyld: Symbol not found: ____chkstk_darwin
Referenced from: /Users/None/Documents/Webs/z88dk/bin/z88dk-zsdcpp (which was built for Mac OS X 11.0)
Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

make: *** [all] Error 1
and if I try to build z88dk from scratch cloned from Git and running ./build.sh, another error happens:
gcc -std=gnu11 -MMD -Wall -O3 -I. -Isrc -Isrc/c -It -I../common -I../../ext/optparse -I../../ext/regex -I../../ext/uthash/src -g -O2 -c -o ../../ext/regex/regfree.o ../../ext/regex/regfree.c
c++ -std=gnu++17 -MMD -Wall -O3 -I. -Isrc -Wextra -Werror -pedantic-errors -Isrc/cpp -c -o src/cpp/args.o src/cpp/args.cpp
In file included from src/cpp/args.cpp:8:
In file included from src/cpp/args.h:10:
src/cpp/utils.h:22:11: fatal error: 'experimental/filesystem' file not found
#include <experimental/filesystem>
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1 error generated.
make[1]: *** [src/cpp/args.o] Error 1
make: *** [bin/z88dk-z80asm] Error 2
My version of the Apple LLVM installation is:
Apple LLVM version 10.0.0 (clang-1000.11.45.5)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin17.7.0
Thread model: posix
Am I missing something? Any hint? Or is macOS 10.1x unsupported?

Thanks in advance! :)
dom
Well known member

Re: Minimum required macOS version?

Post by dom »

I don't think we've ever specified it.

However, from what I can see, the core z88dk binaries seem to run (could you check z80asm please?) and it's just the sdcc part that's failing.

That does make sense since sdcc is the only thing built on my laptop, everything else is cross compiled.

I will need to rebuild sdcc to add an arm64 variant, so I should see if I can support an older Intel version and arm64 from the same fat binary. In the meantime, I'm hoping the only thing you need to rebuild will be sdcc - details on the wiki of how to do that.
dom
Well known member

Post by dom »

Can you try to download the binaries here: http://nightly.z88dk.org/misc/macos_sdcc_10.10_fat.zip these are compiled as fat binaries targeting MacOS 10.10 (random choice since 10.6 didn't work)

They work on a Mojave machine I've got about the place. If they're good for you I'll drop them into the nightly builds.
jorgegv
Well known member

Post by jorgegv »

Just out of curiosity, Dom: why can't be SDCC compiled along the rest of the Z88DK tools, as it is done in Linux? (and not in your machine, I mean)
dom
Well known member

Post by dom »

jorgegv wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:00 amJust out of curiosity, Dom: why can't be SDCC compiled along the rest of the Z88DK tools, as it is done in Linux? (and not in your machine, I mean)
When I setup the build machine years ago it was running crosstool which didn't have a copy of boost so I had to do it locally on my machine.

A few upgrades later and now running with osxcross I was still having trouble with the correct incantation of CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, CPPFLAGS, and configure options to get a clean build. So given that we tend to just upgrade on releases I stuck with the manual process.

Though I may have finally figured out the magic today:

Code: Select all

build@build3:~/sdcc-build/bin$ file sdcc
sdcc: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures: [x86_64:Mach-O 64-bit x86_64 executable, flags:<NOUNDEFS|DYLDLINK|TWOLEVEL|WEAK_DEFINES|BINDS_TO_WEAK|PIE>] [arm64]
build@build3:~/sdcc-build/bin$ file sdcpp
sdcpp: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures: [x86_64:Mach-O 64-bit x86_64 executable, flags:<NOUNDEFS|DYLDLINK|TWOLEVEL|PIE>] [arm64:Mach-O 64-bit arm64 executable, flags:<NOUNDEFS|DYLDLINK|TWOLEVEL|PIE>]

Code: Select all

% export CFLAGS="-g -O2 -arch x86_64 -arch arm64 -mmacosx-version-min=10.10"
% export CXXFLAGS="-g -O2 -arch x86_64 -arch arm64 -mmacosx-version-min=10.10"
% export CPPFLAGS="-I/opt/osxcross/macports/pkgs/opt/local/libexec/boost/1.76/include"
% ./configure --host=x86_64-apple-darwin20.2 --disable-ds390-port --disable-ds400-port --disable-hc08-port --disable-s08-port --disable-mcs51-port --disable-pic-port --disable-pic14-port --disable-pic16-port --disable-tlcs90-port --disable-xa51-port --disable-stm8-port  --disable-pdk13-port --disable-pdk14-port --disable-pdk15-port --disable-pdk16-port --disable-mos6502-port --disable-mos65c02-port --disable-r2k-port --disable-ucsim --disable-device-lib --disable-packihx
% make
jorgegv
Well known member

Post by jorgegv »

dom wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:14 am Though I may have finally figured out the magic today:
Congrats then!
garrafonsoftware

dom wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:28 am Can you try to download the binaries here: http://nightly.z88dk.org/misc/macos_sdcc_10.10_fat.zip these are compiled as fat binaries targeting MacOS 10.10 (random choice since 10.6 didn't work)

They work on a Mojave machine I've got about the place. If they're good for you I'll drop them into the nightly builds.
They work! :O
garrafonsoftware

Sadly going a step further, now is z88dk-z80asm which needs a higher macOS version:
zcc +zx -vn -startup=0 -clib=new -O2 -zorg=32768 main.c -o main.tap -create-app -pragma-include:zpragma.inc
dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: __ZNKSt3__14__fs10filesystem4path11__extensionEv
Referenced from: /Users/None/Documents/Webs/../../z88dk/bin/z88dk-z80asm (which was built for Mac OS X 10.16)
Expected in: /usr/lib/libc++.1.dylib

dyld: Symbol not found: __ZNKSt3__14__fs10filesystem4path11__extensionEv
Referenced from: /Users/None/Documents/Webs/../../z88dk/bin/z88dk-z80asm (which was built for Mac OS X 10.16)
Expected in: /usr/lib/libc++.1.dylib

make: *** [all] Error 1
Seems that z88dk-z80asm requires some C++17 features that require macOS 10.16 or above? (See error compiling in my 1st post of this thread) :(
dom
Well known member

Post by dom »

Hmmm...I can't see a way around this one. There was the same issue on windows which was resolved by statically linking, but I don't think that's possible for MacOS.

The change went in July last year, so you could lift a z80asm from before then. The alternative would be to run z88dk using Docker.
garrafonsoftware

Ok, I will try with the Dockerfile this weekend then.

Thanks for the support, Dom! ;)
dom
Well known member

Post by dom »

Sorry about that, it's a bit annoying that although we support back to Windows XP, the lack of a static libc++ on macOS means that we can only go back a couple of years.

We could use the boost equivalent, but I'll see what Paulo thinks
garrafonsoftware

Docker image worked great! So I will stick to using that.

Thanks again!