exomizer

Other misc things
cborn
Well known member

exomizer

Post by cborn »

Hello

is anyone experienced with exomizer and C?
https://bitbucket.org/magli143/exomizer/src/master/

Although its aimed on c64 it has some strong z80 decrunchers
i hoped to implement some in my wavplayer attempt since my original wavdata is made with wav2ay and uses exomizer(2)
it has some c files and i hope it can be used without rewriting since i wont be able to do such thing
pjshumphreys

Re: exomizer

Post by pjshumphreys »

Doesn't exomizer do something similar to z88dk-zx7? I've briefly used exomizer with cc65 before but I wasn't aware it supports z80 machines. I'd find it interesting to see how the two compressors compare.
cborn
Well known member

Post by cborn »

do you mean the algorithm? they both are biwise crunchers but i never went deep into it becouse i mix up my own little things already and then eg somestruggle with zx0 or zx7 wont help, which i had. i have to fix that attempt to since i misplaced 4bytes in my backward config.
eximozer is used by wav2ay so i think its the best to use that decruncher aswell.
i hope the C version off the decruncher is easy to implement.
if you have intresse in the ay player and help building it, or advice for it you are welcome.
pjshumphreys

Post by pjshumphreys »

This wav2ay project? https://github.com/EdouardBERGE/wav2ay
I can't find any references to exomizer in that one. It doesn't seem to be part of wav2ay itself. I've found decompressing with zx7 is fairly easy and that (de)compressor is already part of z88dk's toolset. Would using that instead be an option? Decompressing data involves putting

Code: Select all

#include <compress/zx7.h>
at the top of your c source file then calling the dzx7_turbo function to decompress the data. I think there are several variant decompressors for different size and speed requirements.

Apparently exomizer did gain z80 decompressors around 2019 :https://bitbucket.org/magli143/exomizer ... decrs/z80/. It's probable those files could be assembled with z88dk-z80asm, but the syntax might need to be changed a little bit.
pjshumphreys

Post by pjshumphreys »

Also, would it be worth asking the exomizer devs whether they have direct support for z88dk compiles in some form? It's possible they might already in some way.
cborn
Well known member

Post by cborn »

pjshumphreys wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:26 am Also, would it be worth asking the exomizer devs whether they have direct support for z88dk compiles in some form? It's possible they might already in some way.
I mailed him last monday
cborn
Well known member

Post by cborn »

https://worldofspectrum.net/pub/sinclai ... WAV2AY.zip

it SHOULD be available on WOS LIKE ALL UTILS !!!!
but Leeisdigginginhisarsrhagain

sorry if i get angry about this way off handeling the software off THOUSENDS OFF CODERS !!
... angry again, sh!t
pjshumphreys

Post by pjshumphreys »

Yeah, based upon what you say this wav2ay tool doesn't seem like a 'batteries included' type of thing. I did see there's freebasic source code at https://worldofspectrum.net/pub/sinclai ... AY_SRC.zip. Is that useful to you?

Otherwise, that other wav2ay tool I found on github will also convert wav files to instructions for the AY sound chip. At the risk of causing you more stress, maybe using that tool instead of the one on WOS might be a better bet. The github one had its latest release in 2021 and the author is still active there rather than the one on WOS which looks like it was last updated more than a decade ago.
pjshumphreys

Post by pjshumphreys »

On further investigation, Batch.au3 in that WAV2AY_SRC.zip file looks like some kind of scripting language code that prints out z80 assembly to do the exomizer decompression. Weird
cborn
Well known member

Post by cborn »

pjshumphreys wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:57 pm Yeah, based upon what you say this wav2ay tool doesn't seem like a 'batteries included' type of thing. I did see there's freebasic source code at https://worldofspectrum.net/pub/sinclai ... AY_SRC.zip. Is that useful to you?

Otherwise, that other wav2ay tool I found on github will also convert wav files to instructions for the AY sound chip. At the risk of causing you more stress, maybe using that tool instead of the one on WOS might be a better bet. The github one had its latest release in 2021 and the author is still active there rather than the one on WOS which looks like it was last updated more than a decade ago.
actualy thats the source on which i started working. Karl coded big part off that to make gasmanns routine working. He adviced me to make a total rework. I never realy tried that until perhaps now. I learned C better now and have in mind that the asm routine from gassmann is probably a C routine already , if i look to the build. The first part extracts the adresses (which my code still is missing,) the next is exomizer2 decruncher and then the player, all used from a basic routine that preselects the data. wav2ay builds the whole addresstable for severall blocks off data in one.
I only rewrote the player to a steady timed player. somewhere in the txt its said its '317ish' which apears to mean that the two loops where uneven and not steady at all. i fixed that problem and added the delay feature and the key check within the now steady 317t loop.
the next part is exomizer3 decruncher and i hope it will be simple.
the original asm works as 1 block, c needs probably an *FILE construction to open a datablock

I did not yet look at the new wav2ay you found, i only saw its a single c file. Maybe its easy it its use ?
pjshumphreys

Post by pjshumphreys »

Maybe its easy it its use?
I don't know. Although as I said before, the author of that one is still active on github so will likely be available to respond to questions. He is still adding commits to the project as of last month.
cborn
Well known member

Post by cborn »

its for Amstrad and uses different ports and some different logic.

I still like to have some exomizer use in it. wav2ay is just one of the programs useing it