invalid library file version, found=18, expected=16 (Coleco Adam)

Discussion about other targets
TechCowboy

invalid library file version, found=18, expected=16 (Coleco Adam)

Post by TechCowboy »

I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to resolve this.

I've removed the existing z88dk, re-downloaded the bleeding edge, rebuilt from scratch, confirmed there are no other copies on libraries on the system, even removed the two possible libraries (smartkeys.lib and eos.lib) from my system to see if there was a conflict with them.

I used these instructions to get the latest
https://github.com/z88dk/z88dk/wiki/installation

The error in question is:

error: invalid library file version: file=/home/ndavie/Documents/Projects/z88dk/lib/clibs/coleco_clib.lib, found=18, expected=16
error: invalid library file version: file=/home/ndavie/Documents/Projects/z88dk/lib/clibs/ndos.lib, found=18, expected=16
error: invalid library file version: file=/home/ndavie/Documents/Projects/z88dk/lib/clibs/z80_crt0.lib, found=18, expected=16

I haven't found anywhere that explains how the 'expected' value is determined, but the only copy of these libraries are in my Projects file (confirmed below with find)

Example output from compile: (as mentioned, I removed the smarkeys.lib, eos.lib to see if they were causing the problem)

Code: Select all

ndavie@Ubuntu21:~/Documents/Projects/fujinet-apps/weather/adam$ make
zcc +coleco -subtype=adam -oweather.ddp -create-app -lsmartkeys -leos ./build/./src/welcome.c.o ./build/./src/location.c.o ./build/./src/direction.c.o ./build/./src/ftime.c.o ./build/./src/utils.c.o ./build/./src/main.c.o ./build/./src/weather.c.o ./build/./src/icon.c.o ./build/./src/io.c.o ./build/./src/options.c.o ./build/./src/faux_json.c.o ./build/./src/screen.c.o ./build/./src/input.c.o ./build/./src/init.c.o ./build/./src/forecast.c.o
error: file open: smartkeys.lib
error: file open: eos.lib
error: invalid library file version: file=/home/ndavie/Documents/Projects/z88dk/lib/clibs/coleco_clib.lib, found=18, expected=16
error: invalid library file version: file=/home/ndavie/Documents/Projects/z88dk/lib/clibs/ndos.lib, found=18, expected=16
error: invalid library file version: file=/home/ndavie/Documents/Projects/z88dk/lib/clibs/z80_crt0.lib, found=18, expected=16
make: *** [Makefile:21: build/weather.ddp] Error 1
Confirmation there are no other copies on my system

Code: Select all

ndavie@Ubuntu21:~/Documents/Projects/fujinet-apps/weather/adam$ sudo find / -type f -name "coleco_clib.lib"
[sudo] password for ndavie: 
/home/ndavie/Documents/Projects/z88dk/lib/clibs/coleco_clib.lib
/home/ndavie/Documents/Projects/z88dk/libsrc/coleco_clib.lib

ndavie@Ubuntu21:~/Documents/Projects/fujinet-apps/weather/adam$ sudo find / -type f -name "ndos.lib"
/home/ndavie/Documents/Projects/z88dk/lib/clibs/ndos.lib
/home/ndavie/Documents/Projects/z88dk/libsrc/ndos.lib

ndavie@Ubuntu21:~/Documents/Projects/fujinet-apps/weather/adam$ sudo find / -type f -name "z80_crt0.lib"
/home/ndavie/Documents/Projects/z88dk/lib/clibs/z80_crt0.lib
/home/ndavie/Documents/Projects/z88dk/libsrc/z80_crt0.lib
dom
Well known member

Re: invalid library file version, found=18, expected=16 (Coleco Adam)

Post by dom »

That usually means that z80asm has not been updated. The object file format doesn't change often (history here: https://github.com/z88dk/z88dk/wiki/z80 ... at#history) but v16 is from a year or so ago by the looks of things.
Timmy
Well known member

Post by Timmy »

I have documented how I installed my z88dk on Linux in a thread, starting from https://z88dk.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=22209#p22209

Perhaps it's useful for you too. Obviously you should have some other install mechanisms like apt-get instead of zypper, and the perl related stuff isn't required any more. (see also later posts in that thread.)

(I also skipped the installation of sdcc, so you might need that too.)
TechCowboy

Post by TechCowboy »

Thank you. It was an old the z80asm in my path. I would never have found it without your insight.
cborn
Well known member

Post by cborn »

try removing z80asm fully before reinstall even in the ./locale/share or where ever the install is made