Can I have multiple sections for C code?

ZX80, ZX 81, ZX Spectrum, TS2068 and other clones
derekfountain

Can I have multiple sections for C code?

Post by derekfountain »

I'm using SDCC.

Is it possible to have multiple sections for my C code? For example, I have my main game code which I want at 0x8000, but also have some screens data and their decoder in C and that can happily go into the contended memory area. So can I say "I want this C code ORGed at 0x8000, but this C code at 0x6200"?
dom
Well known member

Re: Can I have multiple sections for C code?

Post by dom »

In case you’ve not found it #pragma codeseg name where name is your choice will push compiler code in that file into a new section.

You’ll need to fiddle with the section definitions of course.
derekfountain

Post by derekfountain »

I had not found the codeseg pragma, I'd settled on the hacky approach you suggested elsewhere:

Code: Select all

static void set_section() __naked {
__asm
  section contended
__endasm;
}
That worked, mostly (see below), as does the codeseg approach, so double thanks.

(Once you know what you're looking for it's easier to find the answer. There's an old post from Alvin here which describes things in more details, which might be useful to anyone who arrives here via Google.)

One outstanding issue though: my "contended" section is currently ORGed at address 30000. My main() code starts at 32768 as normal. But when I use z88dk-appmake to create the TAP file the code is started with RANDOMISE USR 30000, because it seems to assume that the entry point of the code is the address where the code is ORGed. I want to LOAD to 30000, but RANDOMISE USR 32768. I can write my own BASIC loader, of course, or hack the source to z88dk-appmake (which is what I did), but am I right in thinking there's no way round this limitation with the current z88dk-appmake utility?
fraespre

Post by fraespre »

I was looking for something similar some time ago, I tried putting the section between "__asm" definition, but it didn't work for my case.

Another related thread with this topic, that I found via google too:
https://foro.speccy.org/viewtopic.php?t=5032
dom
Well known member

Post by dom »

derekfountain wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:06 pmOne outstanding issue though: my "contended" section is currently ORGed at address 30000. My main() code starts at 32768 as normal. But when I use z88dk-appmake to create the TAP file the code is started with RANDOMISE USR 30000, because it seems to assume that the entry point of the code is the address where the code is ORGed. I want to LOAD to 30000, but RANDOMISE USR 32768. I can write my own BASIC loader, of course, or hack the source to z88dk-appmake (which is what I did), but am I right in thinking there's no way round this limitation with the current z88dk-appmake utility?
The zx appmake just has a lot of features, I thought there was a way to do that, but it looks like load address == start address, so a new option/pragma would need to be added.