Hello from a new member

Other misc things
WORP3

Hello from a new member

Post by WORP3 »

I just registered to this Z88dk forum and I just want to say hello to you all before starting questions etc ;)
As an active member inside the MSX community, i'm writing a lot of ASM/C programs's myself but for a new MSX project I was looking for a more modern C compiler for the Z80. After a lot of searching and comparing, I started using Z88dk. I'm able to compile a program using z88dk but also kind of stuck with a lot of questions about the inner working of Z88Dk, i'm kind of a noob when it comes to the inner workings of a compiler. But hopefully I can get some more information about the inside working of Z88dk using this forum :)

See you around.
Timmy
Well known member

Re: Hello from a new member

Post by Timmy »

Welcome. Z88dk is pretty mature nowadays for making programs for MSX now. You might have seen my entries in MSXDevs before; they were all made using z88dk (in the 32K ROM mode). I'd say that the best thing about using a C compiler is that making games is a lot faster, and z88dk still allows you to write assembly code for the critical parts too. There are also some pitfalls and the generated code isn't as perfect as hand written assembly, but that's mostly minor details (for me).

I can't tell you much about the inner workings of a compiler though; I'm more interested in making games and programs quickly though.

Good luck!
WORP3

Re: Hello from a new member

Post by WORP3 »

Hi Timmy,
Thank you for your reply :)
I know that z88dk has direct support for the MSX system but although it's an MSX project, the code itself isn't really running on the MSX. So that's why I need to alter the startup code and maybe create a new target for this project. Just added a new post for this question ;)

For game development etc I can believe that z88dk is a good way to make some decent software. Kind of curious what you are making :)