Using SP1 for scroller games

ZX80, ZX 81, ZX Spectrum, TS2068 and other clones
jorgegv
Well known member

Using SP1 for scroller games

Post by jorgegv »

My previous proofs of concept for vertical scrollers on the ZX spectrum were based on double buffering, and the offscreen buffer had a linear memory layout. This layout very much simplifies the scrolling and screen transfer routines, and also the sprite routines (had they been written!). Linear memory layouts are simple and trivial to work with.

Having done the initial POC for the buffer, scrolling and transfer routines, and having the scroller already working on the screen, I found myself having to write the sprite routines if I wanted to do any games. Sprite routines would have been simple to write for the linear buffer, but the point was that I already had extensive experience using the SP1 library (a great sprite library for the Spectrum written by Alvin Albrecht), and even fixing and modifying it; SP1 already has the capabilities for handling the most important layers in a game: the background layer and the sprite layer. I felt it could be really good if SP1 could be used for handling those layers in my Speccy scroller games.

Then I remembered that when specifying the background tiles in SP1 for each character position, you use a 16-bit value that can specify 2 tile types:

- If the value is 0-255 (high byte is 0), then the low byte is used as an index on a global tile table (8 bytes per tile), which needs to be predefined elsewhere, normally during game loading or initialization.

- If the value is greater than 255 (high byte != 0), then the full 16-bit value is used as a pointer to the raw 8 bytes that should go into that screen position.

I use the second mode in my RAGE1 game library as a way to escape the 255 tile limit, and I am quite familiar with it, so I realized that this method could be used in the following way:

- The offscreen buffer is divided in 8-byte character cells (8x8 pixels) than can be used as SP1 tiles. That is, instead of a linear memory buffer by horizontal lines, graphic data is stored as an array of (M rows x N cols) character tiles.

- The SP1 background tile map is setup so that for each screen character cell, its tile pointer is set to the corresponding cell in the offscreen buffer.

- Scrolling is done on the offscreen buffer, and then the scrolling area is fully SP1-invalidated on each frame (`sp1_Invalidate()` function), so that all of it is redrawn when `sp1_UpdateNow()` function is called.

- Since the sprites can also be managed by SP1, the net result is that we can have a scrolling background with our SP1 sprites moving over it.

- Finally, as an optimization, the cell layout in the offscreen buffer is done by columns (instead of by rows): in (row,col) cell coords we have (0,0), then (1,0), then (2,0), and after the first column ends, (0,1), then (1,1), then (2,1), etc. With this storage schema, vertical scrolling on a given column of character cells can be done with just 8 x M LDI/LDD instructions (unrolled), or a single LDIR/LDDR (loop).

I have made a simple POC which configures all SP1 tile pointers in the scrolling area to a single tile which I trivially manipulate on each frame to get a feel of the scrolling movement; just to verify if SP1 is quick enough to do this.

I found that of course it can't do 50 fps (I expected that), but so far I have found it quite capable, so I'll do more experiments by tweaking e.g. the scrolling area, the scrolling speed, number of sprites, etc.

I'll report back :D

P.S. This post is copied from my notes on my scroller repo , you can head there for the example code. Of course, any feedback is very welcome as usual.
jorgegv
Well known member

Re: Using SP1 for scroller games

Post by jorgegv »

Just to clarify: my scrolling experiments are always pixel scrolling, not character scrolling.
jorgegv
Well known member

Post by jorgegv »

SP1 scrolling test 1

It can be found in the src/sp1-randomtiles directory. This is a real scroller, using the workflow that would be used for a real game: tiles are drawn on some non-visible top rows and are brought into view by the scrolling process. In this example, the logic for printing tiles on the top is trivial, but in a real game those would come from a map.

Keep in mind that the top row of invisible tiles is only drawn once in a while (when a full tile row has been scrolled down) and not on every scroll cycle.

The scrolling routine has been unrolled (multiple LDDs instead of one LDDR) for better speed.

The number of pixels to be scrolled down on each scroll-cycle can be configured at the top of the demo. Less pixels = slower, but smoother. More pixels = faster but clunkier. 1-pixel scrolling is smooth but it could be apropriate (or not) for the game.

The initial numbers for this scroller are around 12.5 FPS, so we are spending 3 frames and some more just for the graphics handling. We could aim for a 10 FPS target, having some 1 frame and a bit more for our game calculations, sprite movements, checks, etc.

Also worth considering: SP1 graphics algorithm is designed to not have any flickering, so we can try to run at full tilt avoiding the HALT and not waiting for Vsync. This would make the game run slower or faster depending on the number of elements on screen, which may be not desired, but it's worth a try when we have sprites moving on the screen (on next tests).

Here is the TAP file, code is in the repo.
jorgegv
Well known member

Post by jorgegv »

I just updated all my examples to work with Newlib. SP needs to be put out of SP1 data area when running on Newlib (in Classic, SP is aready set up out of the way).
jorgegv
Well known member

Post by jorgegv »

SP1 scrolling test 2

It can be found in the src/sp1-sprites directory. It's the previous Test 1 real scroller, but this time with sprites running all over the place, while the background is scrolling down.

The source is fully parameterized, so that different configurations can be tested and conclusions drawn.

The following parameters can be modified by just changing the #define's at the top of the C file:
  • Size and position of the scrolling area (dimensions in char cells)
  • Number of pixels to scroll down on a single scroll cycle (pixels)
  • Size of the top non-visible tile row - the one that brings new tiles from the game map (char cells). This is, practically, the size of the biggest tile in the map.
  • Number of sprites (a maximum of 16 have been defined, but only the number #define'd will be used for the demo)
My findings so far:
  • SP1 seems very capable of running a game with a scrolling background and several sprites moving on the screen
  • The number of simultaneous sprites affects speed, but not as much as I expected. A possible explanation may be that since the whole scroll area is invalidated (currently) the drawing of all sprites does not invalidate more cells when more of them are on screen, so just their calculations and positioning matter.
  • I have the definive impression that not using the HALT to wait for Vsync makes the demo go smoother (opinions?)
My next optimizations will be oriented to find the way of not invalidating all the screen, but only the affected cells. This will probably force me to keep track of the current tiles on screen and their position, and will probably give a real speed boost.

Click here for the TAP file and the source code.

P.S. Assembler functions and unrolled loops have been modified to not require any manual adjustment - just change the #define; also I have switched to SDCC compiler for better C syntax support :-)
dom
Well known member

Post by dom »

jorgegv wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 12:59 pmP.S. Assembler functions and unrolled loops have been modified to not require any manual adjustment - just change the #define; also I have switched to SDCC compiler for better C syntax support :-)
Designated initialisers? Anything else? They've been on my "want-to-do" list for a good few years.

Thanks for publishing the .tap files - I'm finding it interesting watching your progress.
jorgegv
Well known member

Post by jorgegv »

dom wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 4:09 pm Designated initialisers? Anything else? They've been on my "want-to-do" list for a good few years.
Exactly that. :lol: But besides that, everything works fine with both compilers. It's just that designated initializers is one of my programming OCTs... It helps me to not have to go back and forth between the struct declaration and the data initialization.
dom wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 4:09 pm Thanks for publishing the .tap files - I'm finding it interesting watching your progress.
Some feedback at last! =D Stay tuned, I'll keep researching.
Timmy
Well known member

Post by Timmy »

Hi, I had thought about scrolling using SP1 in the past, but I never really needed it.

I think this is the right idea to do it.

Currently I am still busy with my health so I will only be passively reading it but please go ahead. :)

I hope to do stuff with sp1 soon.
derekfountain

Post by derekfountain »

Yes, I've moved from z88dk to other projects for a while, but I'm following along too. :)
dom
Well known member

Post by dom »

jorgegv wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 4:13 pm
dom wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 4:09 pm Designated initialisers? Anything else? They've been on my "want-to-do" list for a good few years.
Exactly that. :lol:
This morning I merged in partial support. Since that bit of the code is a single pass it can’t handle going backwards in the struct. But skipping is supported of course. I figure that covers about 80% of use cases with minimal effort. Your example falls into the 20% unfortunately of course.
jorgegv
Well known member

Post by jorgegv »

dom wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:37 am This morning I merged in partial support. Since that bit of the code is a single pass it can’t handle going backwards in the struct. But skipping is supported of course. I figure that covers about 80% of use cases with minimal effort. Your example falls into the 20% unfortunately of course.
Sorry, I have some background in compiler design but I did not follow you on that explanation. Could you please explain it a bit with some trivial examples? WHat do you mean by "going backwards" and "skipping"?

I thought my use case was pretty simple wrt designated initializers...

Thanks and sorry to bother you :-)
dom
Well known member

Post by dom »

It's easy to show with your struct:

Code: Select all

struct sprite_s {
    int16_t pos_x, pos_y;
    int8_t dx, dy;
    uint8_t z_plane;
    struct sp1_ss *sprite;
};
The following works (showing "skipping"/gaps in the defined fields):

struct sprite sp = { .pos_x = 10, .sprite=NULL };
The following won't (because we end up going back in the struct):

struct sprite sp = { .z_plane = 3, .pos_x = 10 };
I've got an idea how to do it properly but my brain was too fuzzy to turn the idea into code last night.
jorgegv
Well known member

Post by jorgegv »

Ooohhh, I see..... You were referring to initializers that are specified in different order than in the struct... Now I understand.

But my code should have matching order! My OCD was not very alert on that one! :D

I just fixed it on the sprite example code for you :)
jorgegv
Well known member

Post by jorgegv »

SP1 scrolling test 3

It can be found in the src/sp1-partial-inv-1 directory. Based on Test 2, but this one keeps track of the tiles that are present on each column, and only invalidates the cells that are affected by them. It also keeps track of how the tiles walk down the screen, and propery moves the cells to invalidate.

The information on drawn tiles is known when printing tiles on the top non-visible row.

The basic idea to explore is column cell-range invalidation:
  • Instead of invalidating the whole scroll area with a single sp1_Invalidate() call, we will run an invalidation per column.
  • On each column, only cells that have moving content will be invalidated, taking into account that e.g. a 2-row tile will most of the time invalidate a 3-row area due to vertical pixel offset.
  • Initially, only one range per column will be invalidated (for efficiency reasons). That is, if we have tiles in rows 4-5 and 10-11, the whole 4-11 range will be invalidated.
  • For each column, there is a (min,max) pair which holds the current range of cell invalidations to be done for that column. This pairs are moved down for all columns every 8 scrolled pixels (cell changes occur every 8 scrolled lines). So if scroll is 1-pixel, it will be done every 8 scroll cycles; if scroll is 2-pixel, every 4 scroll cycles; etc.
  • Since these min and max values will be cell-based, and in ranges 0-31/0-23, they will be of type int8_t (signed) and we will use min = -128 (NO_RANGE constant) to signal that there is no invalidation to be done on that column.
  • Initially, each column starts with a (NO_RANGE,NO_RANGE) pair (no invalidation)
  • When printing a tile on the top non-visible row:
    - Set MIN to -(height of top non-visible row)
    - If MAX is NO_RANGE, set MAX to 0
  • Every 8 scrolled pixels, do the following for each of the columns:
    - Adjust MIN and MAX (add 1 to each of them, saturating at the maximum row value)
    - If MIN is out of the scroll area, set both MIN and MAX to NO_RANGE
  • The previous adjustments and movements will have to take into account 1 additional cell due to the pixel offsets mentioned above.
We could keep track of all tiles on each columns and only invalidate the strictly necesary, but this would imply having a changing list for each column, which means more processing on a critical code path. If we have several tiles on the same column, I have assumed that it's probably cheaper to simply invalidate everything in-between than trying to cherry-pick cells to invalidate.

My findings with this test:
  • The idea of only invalidating the needed areas is good and speeds up the demo
  • The current algorithm is not so good: given that on any given column, only a single range of rows can be tracked and invalidated, it quickly degenerates into the full-column invalidation case. E.g.: when the map has few and vertically sparse tiles, the algorithm works well (it can be appreciated at the beginning of the demo, when only a few background tiles can be seen on the screen); but when more tiles start to appear, suddenly all the columns have several tiles and almost the full column is invalidated, defeating the optimization.
A better algorithm which strictly keeps track of all the on-screen tiles and their invalidating rectangles will be explored in Test 4.

As usual, click here for the TAP file and the source code.
jorgegv
Well known member

Post by jorgegv »

New stack-based scrolling routine

Also in Test 3, a new stack-based scrolling function has been developed and tested.

I have found that the regular unrolled LDD version is hard to beat, mainly due to the fact that when moving the bytes, the source and destination ranges mostly overlap, and this makes it more difficult to optimize the stack transfer.

The approximate T-state count for each of the versions is commented in the code.
fraespre

Post by fraespre »

hi Jorge,

As you know, I'm following your advances in this topic very closely.
I believe the real possibility of generating scrolling in the sp1's tiles is awesome. So, congrats for open this great "new feature" or "trick" (it depends on your point of view).
Besides, I'm very happy you carry on deep diving into this topic, looking for a better approach in efficiency terms.

After reading your new evolution in this test, a thought/opinion raise in my mind: Try to keep a generic solution.
I mean, it would be nice having a way to be more efficient, independent of the scroll movement (top-down, left-right, etc) and the tile's content (following some specific tiles across the area), because this kind of improvement reduces a lot the number of cases where you can apply the solution.
I think actually the common case is having very saturated or detailed tiles/backgrounds to scroll.

Some new cases to consider (in my humble opinion ofc) would be:

- Define some specific sub-areas where the scrolling is enabled (smaller than the global sp1's area).
Eg. in some games the scroll is only on the ground area or in the sky or in the sides.

-You could define several scrolling areas with different speeds ... generating a parallax scroll.

- Possibility to have an ordered list of coordinates with the tiles (positions) to invalidate.

That's all from my side. I'm looking forward to seeing your next evolutions about the scroll topic.
;)
jorgegv
Well known member

Post by jorgegv »

Well, I'm always aiming for generic solutions, but I'm in the middle of explorations right now.

So far my next plans/ideas to test are (you have indeed read my mind):
  • A better invalidation algorithm for the scrolling tiles (stay tuned for Test 4, I'm right on it now)
  • Selective scrolling: not the full column, but only the address ranges that have tiles in them
  • Attribute scrolling
  • Vertical parallax scrolling (=scrolling different columns at different speeds)
  • General speed optimizations (local->static vars, etc.)
Thanks so much for the feedback.
jorgegv
Well known member

Post by jorgegv »

SP1 scrolling test 4

It can be found in the src/sp1-partial-inv-2 directory. Based on Test 3, but changing the algorithm which keeps track of the cells to invalidate. Conceptually, this method keeps track of the position of each and every tile which is seen on screen, and periodically adjusts the cells that it invalidates in lockstep with the scrolling routine.

Basic ideas:
  • We keep a global list of printed tiles and their invalidation rectangles. This list is a ring buffer for efficiency, since all tiles in that list will added and removed in FIFO fashion
  • When printing a tile on the top row, it is also added to this list, together with its position and rectangle definition
  • The list is updated every 8 scrolled pixels and all the positions of all visible tiles and their rectangles are moved down one row
  • When tiles reach the bottom row and go out of sight, they are removed from the global list. So at any moment, the list only contains the visible tiles.
  • The maximum size for the global list is fixed and depends strictly of the scroll area and the tile sizes, so no heap is required. It can be declared statically with a maximum size, and have the map function ensure that there are never more than that number of visible tiles on screen (including the top non-visible row)
  • The invalidation routine walks the global list going over each of the visible tile position records, and invalidating its rectangle. It is run every frame, so every optimization here has a big impact on performance. The initial version created a sp1_Rect for every visible tile based on its coordinates, but this code was quickly moved into the tile printing and moving functions, since these two are not run every frame, but every 8 scrolled pixels.
This version is faster when there are fewer background tiles on the screen, so its real utility will depend on the complexity of our map. For a map with lots of visible tiles, it seems to be more efficient to use the previous versions which simply invalidate the whole scroll area.

So far the experiments indicate that if you have a complex map, then it's better to have a simple routine that invalidates all the area, and spend the (less) remaining CPU time in having a good simple gameplay. Or you can have a simple background and go with a more complex gameplay, faster, with more sprites, etc.

Next test: Test 5, partial scroll. I'll try not to scroll the whole column, but only the address ranges affected by the visible tiles. We already have this info in the invalidation ranges used in Test 3, so Test 3 will be easily adapted for this case.

It will be very difficult to do it by reusing the tile list used in Test 4 because tiles in that list are stored horizontally (i.e. tiles on top row, then tiles below, etc.), but we need the vertical ranges to make the scroll. It will be very timeconsuming to scroll every tile rectangle separately.

I'm thinking also on designing a visual way of measuring performance that I can include in all the tests; some counter that is incremented on each interrupt and measured and reset on every scroll cycle, and periodically output to screen in some way that does not interfere much with the graphics update.

I also split the code in several files for easier handling.

You can download the TAP file, or read the code here.
jorgegv
Well known member

Post by jorgegv »

SP1 scrolling test 5

I have decided not to explore the mentioned Test 5 case (partial column scroll), since again we will have the degenerated case of having to scroll most of the column most of the time, and also the scrolling is not the most time-consuming operation which is being executed.

SP1 scrolling test 6

It can be found in the src/sp1-parallax directory. Based on Test 3, the assembler scrolling routine is modified to accept a parameter which is the number of pixels to scroll. Since the scroll routine is LDD based, the number of pixels scrolled does not affect the speed of the routine, it's just a matter of adjusting the offset from the source to the destination address.

The scrolling area is now divided in 3 areas: AREA 1 is the center zone, where the action happens (columns 2 to 13); AREA 2 (columns 1 and 14) and AREA 3 (columns 0 and 15) are the parallax effect zones that scroll at different speed than the main one. AREA 1 scrolls at 1 pixel per cycle, AREA 2 at 2 pixels per cycle and AREA 3 at 4 pixels per cycle.

These new areas have to be explicitly managed when doing the whole scroll effect. This effect is achieved with 3 main functions: draw_top_row_of_tiles(), scroll_down_area(), and move_down_tile_positions(). All 3 functions have been modified so that they take into account the 3 different areas and their scrolling speeds.

Attributes have been changed on all areas for better observation of the effect, and also sprite movement has been constrained to AREA 1, so they don't move over the parallax zones.

Admittedly I'm not a great artist and the tiles are not of great quality.

I was expecting that parallax would make the general scrolling substantially slower, but surprisingly it didn't. I blame it to the draw_top_row_of_tiles() and scroll_down_area() functions not doing that much additional work (with respect to Test 3), because the parallax tiles are half the size of the regular ones and also they are printed ocassionally (as the others). The move_down_tile_positions() function has not changed at all, since the work to do is the same for all the columns, no matter in which parallax zone they are.

My next steps will be to optimize the code, add a trivial IM2 routine and deploy the "performance" monitor in all the previous tests, so that the perceived performance can be justified.

I'll continue exploring other scrolling techniques with code in this repo, although it will probably not be SP1 based.

As with previous examples, you can download the TAP file, or read the code here.
jorgegv
Well known member

Post by jorgegv »

Performance review of all SP1 scrolling tests

In this section I have compiled the performance characteristics for all the previous tests. For this, I have needed to normalize the code so that comparison between measurements are meaninful.

I have disabled the regular ROM interrupt processing and activated a minimal IM2 interrupt routine and performance counter in all the previous SP1 examples, so that we have a consistent way of measuring the performance of all of them.

Performance is then measured as a Frames Per Second counter which is shown every second at the bottom left corner. It is interesting to see how it changes depending on the number of tiles on screen and the different algorithms used for updating the scrolling zones.

Synchronizing to screen retrace via HALT instruction has also been removed in all tests, since it is not needed in SP1 games, and also allows us to measure the raw speed with no artifacts.

Finally, all scroll areas have been normalized to a 16x16-cell zone, and the number of sprites has been set to 6 in all tests that have them.

The following table resumes the measured performance on each of the tests:

| Test # | Directory         | Description                                                           | FPS   |
| ------ | ----------------- | --------------------------------------------------------------------- | ----- |
| Test 0 | sp1-baseline      | PoC to test raw performance of SP1 updating whole scroll area         | 22    |
| Test 1 | sp1-randomtiles   | Whole scroll/top-row-update loop, full column scroll and invalidation | 17-18 |
| Test 2 | sp1-sprites       | Test 1, with added moving sprites                                     | 13    |
| Test 3 | sp1-partial-inv-1 | Test 2, with added partial column invalidation, method #1             | 17-25 |
| Test 4 | sp1-partial-inv-2 | Test 2, with added partial column invalidation, method #2             | 20-25 |
| Test 5 | -                 | Not implemented                                                       | -     |
| Test 6 | sp1-parallax      | Test 3, with 2 added parallax zones scrolling at different speeds     | 11-17 |
Conclusions:
  • For a 16x16 scrolling area, a baseline framerate of 22 FPS shows that scrolling games with SP1 are quite a possibility, given that SP1 conveniently integrates background _and_ sprite management in a single library.
  • The scrolling routine is not the critical part, but the SP1 update is. Initial baseline measurements indicated that the scrolling code spends only around half a frame for scrolling an area of this size, and the rest of the time being used by SP1.
  • The optimizations done in Test 3 and Test 4 (partial invalidation instead of fully invalidating the whole scroll area) are indeed valuable and make the FPS ocassionally reach the baseline measurement, and even a bit higher. This is quite remarkable, given than on these tests we have sprites moving all around. Optimization in Test 4 show slightly better performance than Test 3.
  • In both Test 3 and Test 4, results depend highly on the number of visible background tiles, which is to be expected.
  • The parallax effect, contrary to what was indicated in the previous statements, generates a measurable additional load with respect to code with a single scrolling zone.
  • For a scroller game with a single zone (no parallax), the better algorithm seems to be the one in Test 4
jorgegv
Well known member

Post by jorgegv »

Updated performance review for a 16x24-cell scrolling zone

I have reconfigured all tests to use a 16x24-cell scrolling zone, which is a more realistic size for a scrolling game on the ZX. The results are proportionally similar to the previous ones, but with bigger differences between the baseline measurements and the optimized ones in Test 3 and Test 4.

Here is the table with the old and new results in an additional column for comparison:

| Test # | Directory         | Description                                                           | FPS-16x16 | FPS-16x24 |
| ------ | ----------------- | --------------------------------------------------------------------- | --------- | --------- |
| Test 0 | sp1-baseline      | PoC to test raw performance of SP1 updating whole scroll area         | 22        | 15        |
| Test 1 | sp1-randomtiles   | Whole scroll/top-row-update loop, full column scroll and invalidation | 17-18     | 12        |
| Test 2 | sp1-sprites       | Test 1, with added moving sprites                                     | 13        | 10        |
| Test 3 | sp1-partial-inv-1 | Test 2, with added partial column invalidation, method #1             | 17-25     | 13-22     |
| Test 4 | sp1-partial-inv-2 | Test 2, with added partial column invalidation, method #2             | 20-25     | 17-23     |
| Test 5 | -                 | Not implemented                                                       | -         | -         |
| Test 6 | sp1-parallax      | Test 3, with 2 added parallax zones scrolling at different speeds     | 11-17     | 9-16      |
In this new test it can clearly be seen that the baselines (the ones that manage and invalidate the full area) suffer a big performance penalty when enlarging the scrolling area, while the optimized ones are not quite that affected. Indeed the algorithm in Test 4 seems a real candidate for a good ZX scrolling game, using all SP1 power.

I'd like to thank everyone for the feedback on this series of articles. As I said, I'll continue on my personal learning path, exploring and documenting some other scrolling techniques, but not SP1 based. I'm really satisfied with all the knowledge gathered here and I hope this can be a reference work for future game developers who want to make a scrolling game.

Have fun
J.
jorgegv
Well known member

Post by jorgegv »

I'm posting here direct links to the TAP files for easier reference:
Someone has suggested me to make a video showcasing this work, so I think I will do it in the following days. Stay tuned.
jorgegv
Well known member

Post by jorgegv »

Following Derek's suggestion, I have prepared a video presentation on these articles. Some SP1 background and detailed explanations on how the examples work are included; they are also shown running:

https://youtu.be/wSUX3YdvARw

The video is ~30 minutes long, you have been warned :D
jorgegv
Well known member

Post by jorgegv »

I slipped a small mistake in the video: around 13:05 I say that the fastest scrolling routine is the LDDR one, but it is not. The fastest one is the one with the unrolled LDD loop, as it can be correctly seen in the repo code.
jorgegv
Well known member

Post by jorgegv »

Hi again.

I have continued my SP1 scrolling quest, now with multidirectional scroll... and so far, the baseline looks good! See for yourself:

The demo above scrolls a 128x128 pixel viewport in 1-pixel increments over a 768x384 pixel map, following a predetermined path. The map is built as a 48x24 grid of 16x16-pixel tiles.

With no optimizations (brute force scrolling and SP1 update of full area), the framerate seems good enough to try on some optimizations.

The TAP file can be downloaded here.

I'm preparing a post with a detailed explanation.